Fastest Elotes This Side Of The Rio Grande

Oct 15, 2010 7 Comments by

Surely you’ve heard that Taqueria El Si Hay at 601 West Davis has some of the best tacos in Dallas, but if you’ve never stepped around to the right side of their small building to try the elotes, you’re really missing out on a treat.

Elotes is the Spanish word for corn, and a typical cup of elotes includes hot corn, sour cream, cheese, plenty of butter, and a splash of hot sauce. I’ve tried elotes at a handful of other stands around the hood and am comfortable stating that the El Si Hay elotes is in a class of it’s own. I’m going to credit their commitment to using real butter (and not the squeeze margarine that some of the other carts use) as one of the key flavor differentiators.

The other notable thing about the El Si Hay elotes guy is his speed. There’s almost always a line waiting for corn, so I decided in the interest of science to video his process and document the speed and efficiency. Coming in just under 45 seconds, it’s got to be the fastest and best tasting cup of corn around. Each cup is $2.50 and it’s a cash-only operation. You can thank me later for this tip.

News

About the author

Rob has lived in North Oak Cliff for 7 years and has eaten at nearly every taco stand in the area during that time. He also was a founder of CliffDweller Magazine and has served on the boards of the Oak Cliff Chamber of Commerce and the Texas Theatre.

7 Responses to “Fastest Elotes This Side Of The Rio Grande”

1. gg says:

His elotes are easily the best in town.

With one consistent problem: Every time we try to get his elotes, we have to split up, with one getting in line for the elotes, the other ordering the tacos. He needs help with his operation, as, he’s just one guy, catering to a line that’s down to the street during peak hours? C’mon.

2. Lee says:

I agree these are the best elotes around. But, does anyone think he has favorites in the crowd? There is never a real line, just a crowd around the stand and it’s tough to get your order in! I agree he needs an assistant elote maker, an apprentice of this fine craft.

3. Justin says:

C’mon now. Would one ask Michelangelo to hire an assistant because he was taking too long painting the ceiling? This guy stands outside in the elements through all seasons and does not play favorites. This gringo knows for I’ve been getting my corn fix from him since movin to the ‘hood 15 years ago. Not once has someone “cut” in front of me. The El Si Hay elotes guy has a photographic memory that keeps track of when someone new comes up to the cart. Coming here is like visiting another Oak Cliff treasure for a tasty treat – Aunt Stella’s Snow Cones.. You just have to be prepared for a wait.

Assistant? Never! Now, it wouldn’t hurt if he would put in an express lane for people like me who only need one elotes. Murphy’s Law rears it’s head when the line finally gets down to one person in front of me. They always order six elotes. According to Rob’s blog, that’s another four minutes and fifty seconds of waiting,

4. Ben says:

They are great. Why tell everyone when it’s tough enough already?
    Do you think that’s real butter just because it’s a block instead of a tube?

5. Jenny says:

Best elotes in Dallas and well worth the wait! I hate to tell you that it is actually margarine instead of butter, but let’s give him credit for presentation! I appreciate the block format over the squeeze bottle kind any day.

6. Cindy says:

hungry just watching him, i only want my elote directly from the elote o.g.

I have time for greatness…

7. Karla says:

he is awesome, been getting corn there for years and don’t go anywhere else. Oh and don’t worry about the long line, or the crowd around him. He knows who’s next in the crowd and like you said. with 45 sec per elote, the line moves pretty fast.