THE OFFICIAL BLUES, BANDITS & BBQ Competition Rules
(As outlined by the International Bar-B-Que Cookers Association)
1. Go Oak Cliff sanctions this event with all rules for judging as written by this organization.
2. A contestant or team consists of one chief cook and no more than four assistants.
Contestants may check into the BBQ Cook off grounds (Kidd Springs Park., Dallas, TX 75208) beginning at 4:00pm Friday, November 17, 2017, but MUST be in place by 7:00pm Friday, November 17, 2017.
3. All competitors will bring their own meat to the site RAW…No pre-marinating, precooking, or pre-spicing prior to official start time.
Categories for the competition are as follows:
SAUSAGE (Sausage does NOT have to be homemade.)
You may COOK with sauce but DO NOT add sauce, marinade, sop, or juice to meat or container once the meat is prepared for judging. No garnishing or markers allowed for the judges portions. (These rules don’t apply for the People’s Choice Sampling/ Judging.)
4. Cooks are to prepare and cook barbecue in as sanitary a manner as possible.
Cooking conditions are subject to inspection by the Go Oak Cliff BBQ Committee and/or County and State Health Inspectors. Conditions found to be unsanitary will be grounds for disqualification from this cook-off. Fires must be wood or wood substance.
NO gas or electric fires are allowed. No holes, open fires, or dug pits will be allowed. However, a burn-down barrel will be allowed but MUST have some type of safety barrier placed across the top and around the sides of the barrel. Precautions MUST be made to prevent any fire threat. All teams must have at least ONE fire extinguisher on site.
5. Contest meats must be delivered to the designated judging location.
Contest meats will be judged on Saturday, November 10. Attend the Cooks Meeting at 11:00am Saturday for explanation of the rules, any additional instructions and confirmation of turn-in times for each category.
Please turn approximately a half pound of meat, sliced for the judges in the provided numbered tray
WINNERS FOR ALL CATEGORIES WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT 4:30pm
6. BLIND JUDGING: You will receive 1 tray per category.
Each of these trays will be numbered so that the judges do not know which team’s food they are tasting.
7. All Cooking Teams will also be judged for People’s Choice.
Go Oak Cliff will sell tasting wrist bands for attendees that want to participate in judging the People’s Choice category.
Each team will need to make sufficient meat to be passed out in SMALL samples from 1pm – 3pm. You should have samples of the categories you enter and having additional samples of non-entry BBQ is permissible. Voting tickets will be distributed with each purchased wristband. Each team needs a vessel where the voting tickets can be placed as each ticket counts as a ‘vote’. Go Oak Cliff will tally the votes at 3:15pm and announce the winners at 4:30pm.
8. Any nudity, lewdness, or any form of vulgarity will NOT be allowed. NO pyrotechnics or explosives are allowed.
Any intentional use of the above by a team will result in disqualification, removal from grounds and elimination from the tournament.
9. Prize money and trophies will be awarded as follows:
Best Brisket / People’s Choice: $250.00 (each)
Best Chicken / Pork Ribs / Sausage / Pulled Pork: $100.00 (each)
10. Music Bands, and/or sound equipment within your team area is allowed.
HOWEVER, excessively loud music and/or sounds that interfere with announcements, scheduled live bands and entertainment on stage, or that intrude upon or interfere with the comfort of fellow contestants will NOT BE ALLOWED OR TOLERATED. Offenders will receive no more that three warnings from representatives of Go Oak Cliff and non-compliance will be grounds for disqualification from the Cook-off and expulsion from the Barbecue Cook-off Grounds.
11. QUIET TIME is 11:00pm, Friday night until 7:00am Saturday morning.
All teams will need someone with their grill/smoker at all times. Please be respectful of the neighborhood around the event site, especially on the overnight shift.
12. Contest spaces of 20’x20’ will be available for each team.
There is no electricity available at these spots. All cooking facilities, rigs, props or show articles must fit within your team’s contest space. Go Oak Cliff will provide one 10’x10’ tent and two 6 foot tables for use in distributing the People’s Choice samples.
Per the Parks Department, NO PARKING ON THE GRASS.
AFTER UNLOADING PLEASE IMMEDIATELY REMOVE YOUR VEHICLE!
13. The Chief Cook for each team will be responsible for the conduct of his team, guests or invitees.
Additionally, theChief Cook will be responsible for his team’s compliance with the rules land regulations herein set forth. EXCESSIVE USE of alcoholic beverages will be grounds for disqualification. Contestants must not give, offer, sell or donate alcoholic beverages to the general public.
Teams will only offer BBQ to the public if they have purchased the BBQ Tasting Wrist Band. Any offensive conduct will be grounds for disqualification from the Cook-off and expulsion from the Barbecue Cook-off Grounds.